1. Sunday's near constant mist was nothing compared to what is coming Monday to the Sound Shore area weather-wise. Accuweather.com said the rain, possibly starting in the afternoon and partially caused by Tropical Storm Karen, will be heaviest during the evening commute. The high will be around 74. Tuesday is forecast to be better, with partly sunny skies and a high around 69.
2. The New Rochelle City Council will meet at 3:45 p.m. Tuesday at City Hall, 515 North Ave. There are public hearings at 7:30 p.m. followed by Citizens to be Heard. The agenda can be found on the City's Web site.
3. An in-depth look at Passive House design and construction will be held at 6:15 p.m. Tuesday at the Majestic Kitchens Showroom, 700 Fenimore Rd., Mamaroneck. The free event will give examples and details of thermal-bridge-free construction techniques and methods of ensuring fully aligned air barriers. Please RSVP at Laura at email@example.com.
4. My Sister's Place Youth Leadership Team is hosting a free event at 7 p.m. Tuesday for students and parents of Westchester County to discuss young men's role in preventing domestic violence. It will be held at the Emelin Theatre, 153 Library Ln., Mamaroneck. To serve your free ticket, call 914-698-0098.
5. Need a passport? You can still apply for one and have it processed during the government shutdown. From 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Thursday, Westchester County Clerk Mobile Passport Office will be open for business at Harbor Island Park, Mamaroneck Avenue and Post Road, in Mamaroneck. You will need to bring a certified copy of your birth certificate, a valid driver's license and the fee. If you are planning to apply, call 914-995-3086 or visit www.westchesterclerk.com for specific requirements.