New Rochelle firefighters are investigating a basement fire that took place inside the on Main Street Sunday night.
Firefighters received a call shortly after 9 p.m. after someone reported seeing smoke billowing from the basement of the store, which is located inside a four-story building. Louis DiMeglio, the New Rochelle fire chief, said the top floors of the of the building are occupied by commercial businesses and that no one was inside the structure by the time firefighters arrived.
When firefighters arrived at the scene, they found that a pile of cardboard, paper and other debris had ignited into flames. Firefighters said they managed to extinguish the fire quickly, but they needed to stay behind to ensure carbon monoxide levels inside the building had fallen to a safe level.
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something