The New Rochelle Fire Department responded to two residential fires, including one in which two people were taken to the hospital with burns and smoke inhalation, Monday morning.
The two victims were injured at about 6 a.m. after a candle tipped over in the rear bedroom of a home on 98 Plain Ave. The people injured in the fire, whose names were withheld by fire officials, were taken to Sound Shore Medical Center. Fire officials were unable to provide their medical conditions Monday afternoon.
Two other people managed to escape the apartment without injury.
Firefighters believe the incident was caused after a cat knocked over a candle. The fire was contained to the bedroom.
The second house fire started at about 8:30 a.m. at 7 Windsor Oval. Firefighters said that fire was caused by laundry dryer that malfunctioned.
Three people were able to evacuate the home without injury and the fire was contained the laundry area.